Arthritis - Hip is an example of 'ball and socket' joint which is formed by the pelvic bones (the socket) and the end of the femur bone (the ball). A smooth layer of protective cartilage covers both the bones. Arthritis is caused by the loss of this cartilage from wear and tear, inflammation, or injury.
Bursitis - The large muscles which cover the hip joint and the hip joint are lubricated by five large bursa sacs and the fluid which is present in the hip joint. Lubricating fluid which is produced by each of the sac, performs its function properly in the direction to reduce pressure and friction around the joint. Due to injury, excessive pressure, and overuse, these bursa sacs become irritated. Bursitis is caused due to inflammation of a bursa.
Muscle strain - A group of three major muscle help to move the hip through a wide range of movements. Sometimes due to irritation and overuse of these muscles can result into muscle strain.
Nerve irritation - The major nerves crosses the hip which controls the lower leg function. There may be the pain through the hip or down the leg due to the irritation of these nerves. When there is a frequent injury to the sciatic nerve, it may result into the pain along the outer thigh or down the back of the leg. This condition is known as sciatica.
It is necessary to limit the activities to reduce the hip joint pain. Some of the activities which must be limited -
1. You must avoid jumping and running.
2. Activities which require you to spread your legs widely must be avoided.
3. Contact sports like rugby, football and wrestling, and stop and go sports like tennis, basketball and racquetball must be limited and avoided.
4. Repeated bending of the hip and direct pressure over the hip must be avoided.
5. Sleeping towards the affected side must be avoided; it is preferable to sleep on the back or stomach.
6. Stair stepper, stair climbing, step aerobics, bicycling etc must be avoided.
7. Avoid prolonged sitting.
8. Working in a stooped position must be minimized.
9. Repetitive bending at the hip must be limited.
For reducing the hip joint pain, you can take herbal supplement such as Rumatone Gold Capsules and massage with Rumatone Gold pain relief oil. Some exercises on the advice of the doctor are also very helpful.